Crime Reporting

How to Report Criminal Offenses

To report a crime, contact Campus Police at (919) 739-7050 (non-emergencies), dial 9-1-1 (emergencies only), or use the Code Blue telephones located in the parking lots. Any suspicious activity, or person, seen in the parking lots, loitering around vehicles, or present inside buildings should be reported to Campus Police. In addition you may report a crime to the following Campus Security Authorities:

  1. Associate Vice President for Academic and Student Services: (919) 739-6725, WLC 107
  2. Director of Counseling Services: (919) 739-6710, WLC 183
  3. Director of Human Resources: (919) 739-7015, DOG 142
  4. Student Activities Coordinator: (919) 739-6740, WLC 145
  5. Coordinator, SJAFB Programs: (919) 739-6765, SJAFB Education Center
  6. Basic Skills Director: (919) 739-6903, WAL 228
  7. Basic Skills Admissions/Assessment Coordinator: (919) 739-6917, WAL 207

Encouraging Accurate and Prompt Crime Reporting

Community members, students, faculty, staff, and guests are encouraged to report all crimes and public safety related incidents to Campus Police in a timely manner. This publication focuses on Campus Police because it patrols the main campus, and the Wayne Executive Jetport sites. However, SJAFB Security Forces should be contacted when incidents, emergencies, or crimes occur at SJAFB Education Center.

  • To report a crime or an emergency from a College phone, call 9-1-1, call Campus Police at extension 7050, or, from outside the College phone system, (919) 739-7050.
  • To report a non-emergency security or public safety related matter, call extension 7050 or, from outside the College phone system, (919) 739-7050.
  • To report a crime the Wayne Executive Jetport, call 9-1-1 or (919) 739-7050.
  • To report a crime or emergency at SJAFB, call (919) 722-1211.
  • To report a non-emergency security or public safety related matter at SJAFB, call (919) 722-1211.
  • To report sexual assault on the base, call the Sexual Assault Response Coordinator at (919) 722-7272 or the Department of Defense Safe Helpline at (877) 995-5247.
  • To report a crime at all other off-campus events, activities, or classes, call 9-1-1.

In response to a call, Campus Police and/or SJAFB Security Forces will take the required action, dispatching an officer or asking the victim to report to Campus Police or the SJAFB Security Forces to file an incident report.

If assistance is required from the local law enforcement agencies or fire department, Campus Police will contact the appropriate unit. If a sexual assault or rape should occur, staff on the scene, including Campus Police, will offer the victim a wide variety of services. Referrals for confidential assistance may be made to Wayne Uplift Resource Association. Wayne Uplift’s crisis line number is (919) 736-1313. The National Sexual Assault Hotline is (800) 656-HOPE (4673).

Crimes should be reported to Campus Police to ensure inclusion in the annual crime statistics and to aid in providing timely warning notices to the community, when appropriate. For example, a crime that was reported only to Wayne Uplift Resource Association would not be included in the WCC crime statistics.

Voluntary Confidential Reporting

The WCC Campus Police Department encourages anyone who is the victim of, or witness to, any crime to promptly report the incident to the police. Because police reports are public records under State law, Campus Police cannot hold reports of crime in confidence. Confidential reports for purposes of inclusion in the annual disclosure of crime statistics can generally be made to other Campus Security Authorities as identified above. Confidential reports of crime may also be made to Crime Stoppers at (919) 735-2255.

Counselors and Confidential Crime Reporting

Campus “Professional Counselors,” when acting as such, are not considered to be a campus security authority and are not required to report crimes for inclusion into the annual disclosure of crime statistics. As a matter of policy, they are encouraged, if and when they deem it appropriate, to inform persons being counseled of the procedures to report crimes on a voluntary basis to any of the Campus Security Authorities listed above, for inclusion into the annual crime statistics. Staff of the Counseling Services Department inform students of the procedures to report crime to Campus Police on a voluntary basis, should they feel it is in the best interest of the student.

Professional counselors are defined as “An employee of an institution whose official responsibilities include providing psychological counseling to members of the institution’s community and who is functioning within the scope of his or her license or certification.” Students seeking a professional counselor at WCC may contact the Clinical Counselor at or (919) 739-6731.